Sunday, December 10, 2006

DC

Spent the day in DC with Jenny. It was fascinating to see so many famous sites. First stop was the Lincoln Memorial. It's mighty impressive. I thought about the final scene from Planet of the Apes (2001) Then I read the inscription above Lincoln: 'In this temple... the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever.' Temple? Enshrined? The more I see and learn about the US the more intriguing it becomes. I now understand why the conspiracy theories about the founding of the nation seem plausible. I'm also more confused about the relationship between Christians and the state here... but that's another blog post for another day.

As usual, check out my bebo page for pictures of the day - and, check out 'Burt Reynolds Day 2006 at PTS' too

The war memorials (Vietnam, Korea, WWII) are very sad.

The Washington Memorial is very tall.

Saw the Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights at the National Archives building. Bought the posters, and they are now hanging on my wall in Alex Hall.

Spent 45 mins in the National Gallery, but was strangely unmoved by the stuff I saw. Bought an Andy Warhol print. It's hanging on my wall now too: 'I think everybody should like everybody' Not sure if the founding fathers would have bought into that or not. The cashier complimented me on my glasses. This is becoming a regular occurence. What is it about Americans and fashion? Can't they see I'm an uncool dude?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I clicked onto 'Jenny'. Presumably you are 'the Scotsman' to whom she refers. Does she think that you speak scotch and have a pet haggis?

C G said...

Shed, I think the glasses are a Proclaimers kind of thing. And I love these letters from America...

Jenny said...

LOL, Simon. I neither think David speaks Scotch nor has a pet haggis.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, please accept my apologies. I'm desperately trying to develop a sense of humour.

Jenny said...

Simon, apologies accepted. I thought your comment was funny, but wanted to clear my name of being an ignorant American (at least, with regard to those comments...I am certainly quite ignorant in other respects).