Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Green Gospel Preacher

I've been reflecting on the remarks of Trueman and Trotter, here and here. It's interesting that no-one from the Reformation 21 blog team has been able to provide answers to the questions. I'm not going to try because I'm not sure I understand the issue, although I think the problem is more to do with the place of tradition within current Reformed and evangelical churches as much as the doctrine of the Trinity.

My reason for mentioning the above is that in the next two or three days I will write a sermon based on Jeremiah 17:5-18. This will be the first sermon I've prepared and preached in six or seven months. And I'm finding it hard to get going. My problem is this: the text is fascinating, but I can't find the gospel in it. I want to say lots of encouraging things to the people of Partick South Church, but my text doesn't allow me to say any of them. And there are lots of interesting things I could share from Jeremiah 17 (e.g. Friends, did you realise you are all dreadfully deceitful and fickle?), but I'm not sure I want to say them! And, given Trueman and Trotter above, I'm beginning to think that being a preacher is an impossible role. You can never fully represent your tradition or your theology in one sermon. It is impossible to say everything you want. And it is difficult to be faithful to Scripture without being brutal.

'I have not run away from being your shepherd; you know I have not desired the day of despair. What passes my lips is open before you. Do not be a terror to me; you are my refuge in the day of disaster.'

Green Update: (A new slot on the blog where I share my green credentials.) I'm still holding out against buying a car. This could beome an impossible stand - most of my 'pastoral work' will take place in the wild west of Glasgow, but I live in the inner east end of the city. Better news - today I used Morissons polly bags at Tesco. I've decided to start reusing carrier bags, inspired by seeing someone else do the same thing.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

can you not just take the subway over there?