Friday, August 04, 2006

Student minister-'Pews are rubbish' shocker


Space affects ministry, especially ministry of the word. Unless God’s call is unmistakably clear to the contrary (and that will require some extraordinary sign), I have decided that I will not become the minister of a church that has fixed seating in its main building. Almost all of my better experiences of church ministry in the last two or three years have been in modern church buildings. The outstanding exception to this pattern is a church in Skye, where the minister is working out a culturally relevant and evangelistic church model despite the environmental challenges. My own ideas for church and ministry just do not fit with classic church furniture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother!

Ian Hugh Clary said...

I like creaky old pews that are hard as a, well, board. Good for the ole back.